Thursday 22 March 2012

Misfits Series 3 Review

Following a compelling first two series, expectations were high for the third instalment of the British comedy-drama Misfits.
However, as we near the end of the third series, I can’t help but feel it hasn’t quite met the standards raised by the previous ones. This is mostly due to the loss of the show’s most significant and entertaining character, Nathan (Robert Sheehan). In April this year when it was announced that Sheehan would no longer be returning to the programme, I was devastated to say the least. How could the show go on without Nathan, the quick-witted Irish charmer with an answer for everything?
The BAFTA-award winning programme follows a small group of young offenders who were struck by a storm and lumbered with superpowers. This series the characters have all inherited new powers after a trade-off with superpower dealer Seth (Matthew McNulty). Nathan’s departure was covered with a short entitled ‘Vegas Baby’, released online in September 2011, and his position has now been filled by new character Rudy (Joseph Gilgun).
As much as I like this new addition to the group, I can’t help but feel the producers have subtly tried to mould Rudy into a replica of Nathan. And it just hasn’t worked. As I’m watching, I find myself shaking my head at some of Rudy’s quips and actions, thinking to myself- ‘that’s something Nathan would say!’ And to be frank, it’s just not quite the same.
As I write this in such disdain, you may ask: why was Nathan so significant a character? Well, for starters, actor Robert Sheehan played cheeky, cocky Nathan perfectly. And although he may have moved on from the show by choice of his own accord, he claims he will ‘never say never’ about returning, and I know I’m not the only one pining for his return already...
 Nathan provided probably about 85% of the show’s humour, with his hilarious one-liners, crude comments and sarcastic quips. The show is supposed to focus on a group of young offenders, sure, but Nathan quite easily stood out as the protagonist regardless. And I know there are many people out there who would agree with me, because he was so dominant and memorable a character.
Moving onto the actual content of series 3: I must admit I was a little disappointed by the lack of comedic elements to grace these episodes. However, there has certainly been more of a focus on the ‘gritty’ side to Misfits. The episode where the gang found themselves in an alternate world where the Nazis conquered Britain was particularly gripping and dark, and reminded me just how nail-biting and chilling Misfits can be. I just wish the humorous elements would be embraced a little more!
I would like to see more of the razor-sharp script that was evident in the first two series, but without Nathan to deliver such witty lines, I just don’t know if that will be possible! Maybe, the sad truth is, Misfits just can’t be as good without the loveable Irish motormouth. Sorry, Rudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment