Thursday 1 November 2012

Enterprise Pitch

‘Debatable’ is a website where a select few professional journalists will upload articles they have written about the entertainment industry, including topics such as music, film, television etc. Because the debates will be written by experienced writers, articles will be well researched and top quality. Key features of the site include users’ individual profiles, where they can log in to comment on specific debates they have read. The website itself will be extremely accessible and easy to use, with an aesthetically pleasing design and colour scheme.
The target audience is people aged between 16-30, but another sector of my audience are those who are interested in the entertainment industry, whether they have a career in it, they study it or they just enjoy reading and discussing about topics within this particular sector.
Firstly, I researched my competition- what debate sites exist at the moment, what topics they look at, how many users they have, and design and layout etc. Competitors include CreateDebate, ConvinceMe and Debate.org, all of which are very broad and focus on varied topics. ‘Debatable’ differs to these websites because it is focused solely on the entertainment industry, so it caters for more of a specific audience. Also it is written by journalists rather than anyone so this is another way in which it stands out to other debate sites.
I distributed questionnaires to members of my intended target audience to receive crucial feedback detailing what they like about the product, what they would most like to read about and also what colours they would prefer. The findings gathered from this will ultimately have an impact on the final product.
I feel my pitch was informative, concise and well structured. The biggest concern for me was about was the timing- there was so much that could be said in three minutes it was extremely difficult picking out what was necessary to say! This in turn also meant a great deal of pressure to remain within the time limit when pitching, so I’m glad I managed to stay composed and complete my speech within the specified time scale.
For the pitch, I memorised what needed to be said so I didn’t need cue cards, as I wanted to appear as professional as possible and thoroughly knowledgeable about the idea.
When presenting my idea I tried to cover lots of different key aspects within the time frame; I discussed the product, the brand identity, advertising, the target audience, competitors, USP, values and market research, as well as an introduction and a conclusive sentence.
Despite this, there are still pointers I could have touched upon.  This includes future plans- what could be done next, and I could also have mentioned the key benefits of this service just to reinforce why it would be useful and of interest to my target audience.
I also could have mentioned the particular business model I could have used. In terms of the marketing approach, I did go into a lot of detail regarding branding, but I could have also discussed the use of social media perhaps.
Overall, I think the pitch went well as I was within the required time at 2 minutes and 57 seconds and I covered lots of necessary points.
Feedback I received said that the delivery was good and the pitch was well timed. It was also mentioned that I covered lots of information within the time, which I am pleased with, as it was my intention to leave the audience feeling well informed about the idea.
One of the constructive peer feedback comments was that I could have included statistics about the target audience, such as the number of people studying entertainment based topics. Reflecting on this feedback, it also occurred to me I could have mentioned the statistics I found when researching other debate sites, such as the amount of current users on existing sites. This statistic would indicate how a large amount of people like to have a platform to debate about current topics of interest to them.
Challenges I will face will be getting ‘Debatable’ out there, because the web is so large and extensive it may be difficult to get the website noticed. It will take time but one of the future aims will be to get consumer recognition and a great deal of people to sign up for a profile and get commenting and actively engaged in the debates.
I also aim to start developing the website more, so actually planning the layout, which topics are used, and the logo etc. Questions I need to look at include: What exactly will be involved with the website development? How many professional journalists will I need? And lastly, how can I get my target audience to hear about my product?

No comments:

Post a Comment